[Klug-general] First Virtual Kent LUG Meeting

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sat Jul 15 13:55:13 BST 2006

On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 01:29:50PM +0100, Colin_The_Technician wrote:
> The first Virtual Kent Linux User Group Meeting is planned for this
> Sunday (16th July) starting at 9pm.  Most wives and girlfriends will
> probably be watching the Kyle Minogue interview on Sky One so you will be
> free.  We will use Skype to hold the virtual meeting.  Skype
> conference calls are limited to 5 people, which is more than enough
> for a group conversation which is what the Virtual Meeting will
> essentially be. It does mean however that taking part will be on a
> first come first served basis and as Colin and Dan are already signed
> up there's only three spaces left.

Of course you *could* use IRC for your virtual meeting. It has the advantage
that it's automatically logged by most clients, allows people to walk away
from the screen and still log what's happening so they can come back and
join in, it's considerabley lower bandwidth, allows more
people in, makes it easy to past URLs that can both be clicked and logged,
works for people where there is no version of Skype available (i.e. I could
join using Putty on my mobile phone - not kidding - I *do* do this).

There's also the side that Skype is non-Free. :)

There is an irc server on lug.org.uk called irc.lug.org.uk. Feel free to
open your irc client (xchat, bitchx, irssi for examples) and connect to the
above named server. Create a channel of your choice by joining it, publicise
it, and off you go.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers,
Al.