[Klug-general] mapping windows shares in a domain

alan alan at comm-tech.org
Fri Jul 21 02:06:57 BST 2006

#Try a step by step with smb. The problem with mounting smb shares is
usually with permissions. Let us know how far you get in these steps,
that will give a clue to the problem.

smbclient -L serverIPaddress -U smb-username
(enter password)

#You should see a bunch of shares listed, as well as the other stuff
collected from other smb browsers. If that worked then try:

smbclient //serverIPaddress/sharename -U your-smb-username
(enter password)

#This should give you a little ftp-like native smb-client prompt. If
this worked (exit to get out) then try actually mounting an smb share

sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=your-smb-username //ipaddress/sharename
/mnt/mountpoint (all on 1 line)

#That will mount it as readonly for anyone except root, but if that
works then your ready  for the fstab. The equivalent fstab entry is like
this:

//ipaddress/sharename      /mnt/mountpoint  smbfs
username=your-smb-username,password=yourpassword   0 0 (all on 1 line)
sudo mount /mnt/mountpoint

Have found in dapper that using smb:///username@serverIP/sharename in
address bar of nautilus can access smb devices normal user read/write no
problems..