[Klug-general] Cable modems

Michael. E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 19 11:26:40 BST 2006

I don't know if it helps but I have NTL who provide a cable modem. After I bought a Belkin wireless router to service more than one PC I set
it up with the cable modem plugged into the cable (obviously!) and the router plugged into the LAN network card socket on the cable modem.
It also has a USB socket which I used to use to a single PC, but not now. The desktop PC's network card is plugged into the router using a normal
LAN cable and the laptop PC has a PCMCIA wireless card which talks to the router from anywhere in the house.

It works fine. The encryption was a bit of a fiddle but eventually I got it working under Mandriva 2006LE on both PCs. The router has its
own firewall which you can tinker with from Firefox simply by entering its IP address. It all seems to work very well.

Does that help at all?

Mike Rentell
in Folkestone.

Hi all,

Someone I know has a cable modem with Telewest Blueyonder and I cant
understand why they are having trouble setting up. I thought it
connections by plugging the cable router into the ethernet socket on the
Telewest box. They seem to think the router plugs into their existing
modem!!!??? It seems to work for gerneral web browsing but their
upstream transfers are timing out.

All very strange to me.

Kev,