[Klug-general] Routers on cable modems

Michael. E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 19 12:02:28 BST 2006

Michael. E. Rentell wrote:
> I don't know if it helps but I have NTL who provide a cable modem.
> After I bought a Belkin wireless router to service more than one PC I
> set it up with the cable modem plugged into the cable (obviously!) and
> the router plugged into the LAN network card socket on the cable
> modem. It
OK fair enough. Did you have to do any configuration on the wireless
router apart from setting up the wireless bit? Such as setting user
names, passwords and generally using the main setup wizard?

Thanks
Yes, I thoroughly examined all the options on the router to ensure that
it was encrypting and providing firewall functions. It allows you to:

*- Change the Internal IP address of the router.
- Change the Subnet Mask. The default = 255.255.255.0
- Enable/Disable the DHCP Server Function. Default= ON (Enabled)
- Specify the Starting and Ending IP Pool Address. Default = Starting: 2
/ Ending: 100
- Specify the IP address Lease Time. Default= Forever
- Specify a local Domain Name. Default = Belkin

You can also specify 1st and 2nd DNS. And choose the channel number for
the wireless functions.

I finally found that only 128bit WEP encryption worked from Linux and
chose that. The router does allow the choice of a passphrase but
Mandriva 2006LE does not so I had to generate the router's 128 sequence
using the passphrase and then copy that to paper and enter it into the
Mandriva wireless network setup page.

You can do all this by just pointing your browser at the IP address for
the router. The default for mine was 192.168.2.1 but once inside you can
change it to what you want.

Once it was all running apparently OK I pointed it at the ShieldsUp
website and it returned a pretty good security score on the stealthing page.

MikeR
In Folkestone
*
Kevin Groves