[Klug-general] Lots of disk activity slowing me down

Margot margot at lawrence1961.f9.co.uk
Sun Aug 12 12:41:20 BST 2007

Mike Rentell wrote:
> Good day all,
>
> I run Mandriva2007 Free on an aging desktop running an AMD Athlon t
> 1.3Ghz into 1.5 Gb of RAM. I've had this setup for some time, just
> updating the odd bits and keeping up-to-date with Mandriva.
>
> Recently I've noticed that shortly after startup and a few minutes using
> SeaMonkey and Konqueror everything slows down dramatically and there is
> continuous disk activity for about ten minutes.
>
> I have no idea what is going on as I don't recall changing anything
> other than updating to M2007Free. If anyone has any advice, that'd be
> most welcome.
>
> MikeR
> in Folkestone

It would help if we knew what the activity was - you could try
running top in a terminal, or use ksysguard if you prefer a GUI.

The only thing I've had with 2007 that seems in any way similar is
if I've left Firefox running for too long - more than about 3 days -
closing it down & then immediately reopening it seems to be the cure.

And I know that others had problems a while back with a program
called Kat, but I think that was on Mandriva 2006 - I don't use it,
so I uninstalled it which is maybe why I don't have the problem, but
if you have Kat installed you could try getting rid of it unless you
really want it!

--
Margot