[Klug-general] The Android Developer Challenge will award $10 million to developers who build great apps for Android

George Prowse cokehabit at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 16:41:32 GMT 2007

Karl Lattimer wrote:
>> So wait a minute, you can't see anything wrong with them releasing a
>> sub-standard version of the phone and then saying they're "going to fix
>> all the problems in a new release"?
>
> Erm, its a more complete and usable product than an S60 phone, fact!
>
> I don't see how it's sub standard at all, it was a product designed for
> the US market, the european market is different, they have one
> manufacturing line... Its also their first phone product, compare it
> with nokias first phone.

What is the S60?

So it is standard for the US market, it is still substandard for the
European market as it is lacking the basic features that phones have had
here for over 2 years.

>> Basically if they get it all right then in May we can say it's a good
>> phone, until then it is a over-priced, badly thought out fashion statement.
>>
>>  > Hold up a second, George, your clothing, why do you spend as much as
>>  > you do on "designer" gear that you rattle on about?
>>
>>  > Point made...
>>
>> ??? I have no idea what you're rattling on about.
>
> Well, I remember clearly, no less than 3 in depth lectures you've given
> me about your ebay buying habits and the merits of clothing
> manufacturers.
>
> If you want to berate people for wanting a stylish, usable handset, then
> don't be so hypocritical in calling them shallow.

Having a knowledge of clothing manufacturers is the same as having
knowledge of art or wine. I have the knowledge so I can make sure I'm
*NOT* shallow and actually buy it on it's merits.

>> Also, stop getting so defensive, you know what i'm saying is true,
>> you're just doing an exercise of damage limitation
>
> Defensive? I don't see how I'm being defensive... I'm only stating that
> I think this _IS_ a breakthrough device and regardless of its lack of a
> few minor features (remember on a phone, the phone IS the killer app) it
> still beats other products on the market on features.

Yeah, maybe phones you got years ago. It is as far from a breakthrough
device as it is possible to be! It lacks basic functionality and offers
nothing new so how is it possible it's a breakthrough.

The only thing it's going to break through is someone's wallet.