[Klug-general] the future of KLUG

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Tue Jan 16 11:57:52 GMT 2007

Quoting james snyder <james.snyder at linuxmail.org>:

A few thoughts:

> Here are just a few questions that some of us KLUGGERS have been
> thinking about.....
>
> will KLUG arrange and host presentations for Linux users? if so,
> where in Kent? Rochester?

Where is most accessible by public transport?  Ashford? Maidstone?
Canterbury? Rochester?

> which corporations / organizations could sponsor KLUG or encourage
> their employees to speak at KLUG events to promote their products
> with technically interesting content?

Shepherd Neame?! :)

> who could host KLUG?

Universities/colleges are usually a good bet, there was an asylum
project in Dover that used open-office and other opensource software,
they might be interested too.

> does our KLUG mailing list bulletin provide an opportunity for KLUG
> members and guests to make announcements for jobs, assistance (free
> or professional consulting), and hardware?

If not, it may be worth setting up an ANNOUNCE list.

> will KLUG operate any installfests and can anyone teach stuff like
> linux configuration, and linux security?

I'm happy to help with installfests/configuration instruction and I'm
working on the security stuff at the moment.

> does KLUG have or need an online blog presence yet?

Personally, I'd say no, but once we are running installfests/computer
fairs etc, then definately.

> Could KLUG perform any other outreach services for the community?

> Some Linux users from afar have recently expressed the difficulty of
>  getting to KLUG meeting venues.

Definitely a priority for me! :)

Cheers,

Matt