[Klug-general] Netiquette etc

Shish shish at shishnet.org
Sat May 5 13:51:16 BST 2007

> Hmmm. I think this should be my last contribution for a week or two. I
> seem to have stirred things up a bit - not my intention.

*I've* stirred things up, you were just a catalyst :P

> A response which begins with a line including the expression WTF (I
> think I know what it means) is offensive. If that is news to the author
> then I may have been of some use after all.
> It was not helpful, as Shish is now claiming, just extremely (I don't
> use that word very often) upsetting.

In that case I apologise; It was my mistake to assume that we were from
similar cultures -- where I come from, "WTF" is an everyday phrase
used to indicate confusion, common to the point where it isn't even
counted as swearing any more (though it would be if expanded).

Also where I come from, people have learned to never be upset because
of what other people write online, because:

o) 45% of the time, the writer wrote something which they didn't think
   counted as offensive -- if no offence is intented, it's silly to get
   angry; one should point out that they *do* consider it offensive and
   move on.

o) 45% of the time, the reader misunderstood what was written.

o) 10% of the time, someone is being offensive deliberately -- since
   anyone who needs to resort to offence is probably doing so due to
   lack of other options, it shows that they aren't worth listening to.

o) Some combination of the above

In this case, we seem to have come across the first two points several
times~

I do hope you can see through the unintented offence to the actual
advice though :-/

> My greatest error seems to have been in mistaking his signature name
> (Shish) for a final exasperated expletive - I really did. That sorta
> capped the whole thing really.

I've had people think my name meant many things, but never an
expletive :P

    -- Shish