[Klug-general] OOo ver 3 incompatibility

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 13:58:27 UTC 2008

I'm pleased to report OOo working well with Fedora 10  and using using
the latest nVidia driver package.  (At least with an initial test - but
I did run OOo Presentation last night for quite a while.)

You are right in that there is a dependency on Java for something.  (Not
too surprising for something maintained by Sun I guess) and according to
yum running on F8, where I have OOo 2 installed:

openoffice.org-core.1386 requires libjawt.so which on my system is
provided by  java-1.7.0-icedtea.i586 1.7.0.0-0.19.b21.snapshot.fc8 and
also by libgcj.i386 4.1.2-33. Forgive the Fedora 8 and OOo2 references -
I've not moved my email over to my F10 installation yet, but I presume
the dependencies for OOo3 will be similar.  If you think it will help
I'll check the dependencies over on F10 this evening, but the best thing
would be to look up the dependencies on your own system and check how
they are being met.  It may be that there are choices and that you can
influence the choice.

Provided your package manager or rpm installer finds that an appropriate
version of libjawt.so is available it would not have commented at
installation time, so that would explain why I didn't get anything
further.  I would have expected it to complain if some dependency could
not be met.

MikeE