[Klug-general] Help with Myth

Peter Childs PChilds at bcs.org.uk
Sat Dec 20 09:23:38 UTC 2008

2008/12/19 Karl Buckland <karl at digital-end.com>:
> 2008/12/17 Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org>
>>
>> 1. It crashes quite regularly due to having a very badly supported TV
>> tuner card, can't do much about that.(Apart from getting a better
>> tuner card)
>
> I always recommend checking the hardware compatibility list on the MythTV
> website. Unsupported hardware can make your  installation a complete and
> utter pain.

Agreed, Planning to find the money at some point to upgrade to a more
compatible code, I was given this card with the computer which was a
gift from my brother inlaw who got it but decided it was not what he
wanted.

>> 2. Myth will not play DVDs although Kaffine, xine and anything else
>> will quite happily, Myth just gives a blank screen..... and you can't
>> even return to the main menu, in-short Myth crashes. (Logging out
>> works quite well)
>
> I don't use MythTV for playing DVD's, but I believe Spode does. When I've
> tested it previously I've not encountered any issues. Although I have
> noticed Spode's setup sometimes not work and require a restart with DVDs.

Seams like Myth is a but intollerent of small errors CRC check sum and
it dies in a heap. Looks like it might get fixed in a later
version....

>> 3. I have a my mp3 collection on it, Would prefer the indexing to work
>> by Album rather than by artist as it splits up most of my CDs due to
>> them being compilations, To me artist means very little more type and
>> album. Again myth does not seam to have a setting for this...... I'd
>> like all the kids tracks together etc etc etc
>
> I would also not recommend mythmusic - it's crap IMO. Give Boxee a go
> (another media player) - it's video and music abilities are far ahead of
> Myth's IMO. And the developer's may turn it into a MythTV client soon too...

I've not found a music playing program I like, so might have a look,
iTunes is quite good on windows but still has its problems.