[Klug-general] The Wonders Of MythTV

Stuart Brand stuart_mac_admin at me.com
Tue Apr 28 17:51:30 UTC 2009

OK, so it hasn't gone as smooth as I first said...

The first problem was infuriating as no matter what I tried nothing worked. the Internal player is rubbish so I wanted to use xine, under player settings and the command to run videos I tried everything to use xine and still it was reverting back to the Internal player, I found that there is another option screen called "file types" and this was the reason. in this menu there are file type specific options, so I scrolled through and found .vob, then I was able to set xine, success FYI xine -pfhq --no-splash

well nearly, the next problem I had was the video would pause every 10 seconds, so I launched mythfrontend from a terminal and watched the out put, NVP:prebuffer pause, the fix for this was to disable DRI and GLX in xorg.conf (which I had to create), now I have a super faster menu and instant videos with no pausing :)

one more thing...

ripping from the frontend is very slow as it needs to traverse the network, so a little xinetd hack redirects port 2442 to the backend server, this gives the same menu when ripping however you are actually controlling the backend drive, so a 2 hour film went from 40 minutes to rip to 10 minutes

Good luck to everyone else

P.S. - what remote controls does anyone recommend?

Stuart