[Klug-general] [OT]Best ISP for connection with BeThere?

Jeremy Hooks jeremyhooks at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 17 13:41:23 UTC 2009

2009/8/14 Simon Rivers <simon_rivers at hotmail.co.uk>:
> Unfortunately the requirement for best data transfer between the sites
> is for my benefit only (I use it mainly for remote backup), and my friend
> wouldn't consider anything other than a cheapish domestic contract.
>
> My question is, can one find out which other ISPs have the best connection
> to BeThere?

In terms of a good connection to another ISP, I would have thought
that the biggest difference is likely to be the network delay (i.e.
the ping).  The network delay isn't going to make any real difference
to the transfer times.  An ISP whose routers were housed in the same
datacentre, might be an advantage - however it is quite rare for ISPs
to have faults at the Internet level, because of redundant
connections.

I would have thought that faults between the ISP and the home are the
most common.  Your best bet is to find an ISP with good support
service so that when you are off-line, they will fix it for you as
soon as they can.

No matter how good your ISP is the uplink is going to be the real
killer.  Like somebody mentioned earlier if you can get a fast
symetrical link like the wireless system someone mentioned, that would
be much better - even if it is a hundred hops away from your friend's
ISP.  Compared to a 256kbit uplink, Royal Mail and DVD's starts to
look good.