[Klug-general] Audacity under Fedora Core 10

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 16:51:09 UTC 2009

Hello, All.
I recently asked for help with Audacity under Fedora 10 and Ubuntu
Intrepid.  Many thanks for the replies.  I couldn't, however, get it
going, as others have been able to.  This may be a hardware thing, or
the way the OS installs on this particular system.
I have finally succeeded with Ubuntu Intrepid, and give a report below,
just in case it's of any use to any others with the same difficulty.
Best wishes,
Martin

<report on using Audacity under Ubuntu 8.10>
This information relies on that given in:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2184&start=
and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio
which is similar,
to both of which many thanks.

1.
sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins "pulseaudio-*" paman
padevchooser paprefs pavucontrol pavumeter

2.
Next go to System -> Administration -> and click on Users and Groups
(you may need to unlock – button at bottom of window).
Click on Manage Groups, and scroll all the way to near the bottom of the
list where you will find:
* pulse
* pulse-access
* pulse-rt
Make sure to highlight each, one at a time, and click Properties. Just
put a check next to each user that you want to be able to have access to
sound

3.  (Not vital, but this is what I did)
 From “http://www.real.com/linux” install Real Player 11 Gold (I used
Package Installer to install the deb package automatically, with all its
dependencies)
And whilst we're about it, we may as well enable flash support:
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound

4.
Audacity was installed, with all its dependencies from Synaptic Package
Manager

5.
Go to System => Preferences => Main Menu, and change the command for
Audacity to “padsp audacity”  (Back in Applications => Sound and Video,
Audacity can be dragged onto the Desktop, if you wish).  Alternatively,
Audacity can be started from a command prompt with "padsp audacity".

6.
Open up 'Applications -> Sound and Video -> PulseAudio Volume Control'
(NB  For me, this was actually “sudo pavucontrol” from a terminal, or
approached through Pulse Audio Device Chooser in the Applications =>
Sound and Video Menu (the Device Chooser appears as an applet in the
Panel – left click on it and choose Volume Control)
On the Output Devices tab, right click on the volume level for the sound
output that you actually listen with e.g. USB audio headphones might be
'ALSA PCM on front:1 (USB Audio) via DMA'. Select Default in the little
box that pops up.
On the Input Devices tab, on the Show Options at the bottom right,
choose Monitors (or All). Right click on the monitor for the sound
output that you listen to i.e. the monitor of the same device that you
selected on the Output tab e.g. 'Monitor Source of ALSA PCM on front:1
(USB Audio) via DMA'. Select Default in the little box that pops up.
* Open up the source of the sound, e.g. Totem music player or a web page
that plays audio. Once the sound starts, pause it and go back to the
start if you can.
be showing the sound stream. If you right-click on the volume bar of the
stream and hover the mouse over the 'Move Stream...', you can verify
that the sound is pointing towards the same place you selected in Output
Devices above.
(NB  This worked well with a music stream via flash player, but Test
Match Special via RealPlayer did not show up.  PulseAudio doesn't like
cricket?)
Close the sound source.

7.
Open up audacity but use the command 'padsp audacity' instead of just
'audacity'. (NB We changed the Menu command for Audacity to “padsp
audacity”, so just use the Menu).  This will make the OSS source within
audacity actually come from PulseAudio. You can permanently change the
command for the menu item if you wish using System -> Preferences ->
Main Menu (NB we did this already).
* Under Edit, Preferences in Audacity, in the 'Audio I/O' section,
de-select the two check-boxes under Playthrough, set the recording
device to 'OSS :/dev/dsp' (this option was not available at first, and
only appeared after Audacity had been opened, closed, and opened again)
and the channels to '2 (Stereo)'. Set the playback device to 'OSS
:/dev/dsp' too. Click on OK to close the dialogue.
NB  In the above, the advice is to set the Playback Device to OSS.  I
found this not to work, and playback to be unobtainable, until I set
Playback Device to the same as the Output and Input Devices mentioned
above in pavucontrol.  This option did not appear straight away in
Audacity => Edit => Preference => Audio I/O, but only after Audacity had
been closed and re-opened.
* Click on the record button in audacity and start the sound off again
from the source. When you're done, stop the recording in audacity,
remove any bits of the sound that you don't want e.g. leading and
trailing blank sounds, and export as an mp3 file (NB or any of the other
formats available in Audacity).

8.
It says in 7. above, “ Click on the record button in audacity and start
the sound off again”.  I found that Audacity would only start to record
if this were done in the reverse order: i.e. start the sound source
before clicking on Audacity's record button.  This often then means
restarting the sound source, in order to record the beginning of it.

9.
All the above does not lead to a completely stable set-up, so once
recording is finished, to avoid loss of data, save the file before
beginning to edit.  Audacity can easily freeze, then the recording is
lost (however, it often un-freezes after a minute or two, so, if the
recording is important, it's worth going to make a cup of tea).  If it
is saved, Audacity can be restarted and the file can be re-imported. You
may need to close the sound source before beginning to edit, as Audacity
and Sound Source don't seem to be able to inhabit the same planet.
<end report>

Good luck!