[Klug-general] [Klug-General] More free stuff

Martin A. Brooks martin at antibodymx.net
Sun Feb 22 14:53:20 UTC 2009

George Prowse wrote:
>>> You dont need to keep updating Gentoo, some people on production servers will do it once a year
>>>

>> Then they have badly maintained systems.
>>

> Orly? So all those servers running 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 kernels are badly
> maintained?

I don't beleive I said "People with servers running 2.0, 2.2, 2.4
kernels are badly maintained".  I have very well maintained systems
running 2.4 series kernels.

> Maybe you should go and tell them?

Security updates happen all the time.

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rhel-server-errata.html
http://www.debian.org/security/
http://www.novell.com/linux/security/advisories.html
http://www.ubuntu.com/usn
http://www.mandriva.com/en/security/advisories?dis=2009.0

If you're updating once a year then, yes, you have a badly maintained
system as your server may be carrying a known vulnerable exploit for
quite some time.

>> Perhaps not suitable for younger persons but  http://funroll-loops.info/
>>

> Ah yes, a great page created by someone whose linux knowlege was so poor
> he couldn't get Gentoo working. Awesome.

Do you have a citation for that assertion?

> Do you have something against Gentoo or are you in a bad mood?

Mu.