[Klug-general] Ubuntu Query

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Wed Jun 10 09:53:28 UTC 2009

Rich,

Although I can't be sure, whatever detected the problem and gave you the
'user friendly' error message should have written something more
detailed to the system error log.  As system administrator on your
system it expects you to be competent to look at that :)  Gnome even
provides you with a helpful reader for the system log - so even
CLI-phobes have no excuse!  (Look under Applications/System Tools/System
Log)

My guess is that some configuration file written by your previous
installation of linux - from which you took your /home directory - has
put something appropriate to that system in a subdirectory of .gnome or
.gnome2.

When I copy /home from one system to another I generally avoid the
.gnome and .gnome2 directories and let the new system write them.

Having fallen into this trap you may need to create a new user on your
system and log in as them.  Then copy those two directories back over to
your own home directory - as root of course.  THEN: go make sure that
their contents and all subdirectories belong to you.  (chown -R and
chgrp -R)

It is an unfortunate oversight on *nix systems that the home directory
contains the user's personal files but also contains information that is
particular to that user on THAT system and is not necessarily
transferable.

Regards,
Mike