[Klug-general] [Klug-General] Saturday 30th May Dover Meeting

Fish goldfish654 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 21:24:01 UTC 2009

2009/5/11 Colin McCarthy <binarysignal at gmail.com>:
> Does anyone have a suggestion for topics?  Does anyone want to offer to do a
> Tech Talk?  Would people like a 'Fix-It Workshop' type meeting and possible
> sort out any MythTV problems for example :-)  (assuming clever, in the know
> people are coming to help with the solving)
>
> Let me know so we can work to get things organized.

I'd be happy to do a tech talk on *something*, but not MythTV because
I've got absolutely no experience in it, beyond looking at the GUI.

I could do a little talk on Open Source Hardware or something related.
 This is quite an interesting field which is relevant in particular to
Linux users, and is an example of Open source philosophies extending
beyond the realms of just software development.

Not necessarily practical information, but potentially of interest.
It'd be fairly short (half an hour or so) and I can bring some toys to
demonstrate with.

2009/5/11 rich-ayres at tiscali.co.uk <rich-ayres at tiscali.co.uk>:
> Could you please defer any compiler talk that may be contemplated, for the
> next meeting, as I was the person who suggested it and would dearly
> appreciate some pointers?

Compiling and installing applications; Generally:

./configure
make
sudo make install

Everything else is application dependent.  Dependencies of an
application *should* be given with documentation, and flagged up by
the configure script when it's run.  You can usually do ./configure
--help to list any additional options, but again this is application
specific.

I suspect someone could do a talk on compiling an application from
source and then building a package for apt or somesuch, since that's a
tad more involved.