[Klug-general] Alan Turing Pardon Petition

James Blake jimmyblake at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 10:24:03 UTC 2009

On 1 Sep 2009, at 10:50, George Prowse wrote:

> There are some things that are close enough to the topic to warrant a
> slight deviation but getting people to sign up for things - no matter
> what the subject - is too far.

The email isn't just trying to get people to sign up to the petition,
it does also provide information on an interesting book on Turing and
upcoming event at Bletchley Park this weekend to celebrate the birth
of modern computing.  As enthusiasts I considered the interest that
many in the Linux community have in the origins of the modern computer
and I thought this, as well as the petition, may be of interest.  I
also did try and make it clear in the subject line the nature of the
email.

Also just to be clear does the embargo on signing up to things also
include Linux advocacy activities?  How about getting someone to sign
up to a sale, i.e. selling things like laptops?  Many of the replies
to the recent thread about ISPs contained recommendations made could
be considered 'encouraging someone to signup for a contract with a new
ISP'...

I jest obviously ;)  I'll take the feedback on-board and ensure it is
taken into consideration in the future.

> This subject is already on the klug website by you, why did you
> think it
> warranted a second inclusion?

I wasn't aware that there was a posting on the site, was it trawled
from my Twitter or RSS feed because I certainly didn't post it there?

> Also, can people STOP replying to emails and then changing the subject
> to reflect another completely different subject, you need to create a
> new email.

Apologies with this regards.

Regards

James