[Klug-general] Where in the world?

Nathan Friend nathan.friend at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 13:40:38 UTC 2010

Went to PC World yesterday to assist my Dad in buying a laptop.  I know
there are good deals on-line, but he had some vouchers to spend.

After picking a laptop, the sales man told us the laptop would not be
suitable for digital photos unless we also bought photo editing software. I
told him that it won't be necessary as we use open-source software like
GIMP.  Then he made this incredible statement, "Oh we've tried that, open
source software doesn't work on these laptops!"

We then go in to a Monty Python style argument.  I appreciate these guys
want to sell extras but bare faced lying to customers to get a sale was
shocking.

Anyway rant over, just thought I'd share.  I'd be interested to know what
you think could be done to help better inform consumers.

Cheers,

Nathan.