[Klug-general] Where in the world?

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Sat Aug 21 13:50:36 UTC 2010

On 21 August 2010 14:40, Nathan Friend <nathan.friend at gmail.com> wrote:
> Went to PC World yesterday to assist my Dad in buying a laptop.  I know
> there are good deals on-line, but he had some vouchers to spend.
> After picking a laptop, the sales man told us the laptop would not be
> suitable for digital photos unless we also bought photo editing software. I
> told him that it won't be necessary as we use open-source software like
> GIMP.  Then he made this incredible statement, "Oh we've tried that, open
> source software doesn't work on these laptops!"
> We then go in to a Monty Python style argument.  I appreciate these guys
> want to sell extras but bare faced lying to customers to get a sale was
> shocking.
> Anyway rant over, just thought I'd share.  I'd be interested to know what
> you think could be done to help better inform consumers.
> Cheers,
> Nathan.

Did he dare to say why, maybe they have some wireless card or
something the drivers don't quite work or don't exist. Its less and
less true but it does still happen. Truth is with having to get all
your drivers agreed with Microsoft its actually cheaper and quicker to
test and create with Linux and then deal with windows later now....

Peter.