[Klug-general] media players

Dan Attwood danattwood at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 4 08:18:08 UTC 2010

there was a brief discussion on media players at the last meeting and
amazement at how banshee had finally got library watching.

I few days ago however my copy of linux format arrived and they had an
article on subsonic (*subsonic*.sourceforge.net/)

It's a browser based music streamer - think jinzora. However there is no
need for a database and it's a piece of cake to set up. A bit of port
forwarding and I'm now sat at work listening to fruitbats first solo effort
streaming from my home. It's also got an android client, podcast support and
wap interface. they only lsight catch I had was that it wouldn't work on my
creaky hardy server so I set up a virtual karmic server for it.

Also following on from the last meet I got pirates! to with 3d support in
virtualbox. Well I say work.....the cut scenes are fine but the game itself
runs like a st bernard so I'm going to give David H's wine suggestion
another go at the weekend if I get time.