[Klug-general] G33k Barbie

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 11:58:36 UTC 2010

As featured on the BBC website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8517097.stm

While the premise for this post is very off topic, It is an age old
issue about gender stereotypes and women in IT come up again. I'm
neither interested in starting flame wars etc... But surely nobody
addresses the issues with simple common sense.

I was going to write some cometary and opinion, but it started
sounding to bitter and cynical.

Is there an issue here?
Do many luggers work with women in their departments?
I know we have some women on the list, what are your views/experiences?

In my day to day work I work with two women, one who is on the systems
team and one who is not technical but performs a project management
role. Both are good at their jobs and I personally like how women in
the tech department can help to break up the otherwise "boys club"
feeling.