[Klug-general] Grub 2

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Sun Jun 13 09:56:42 UTC 2010

On 13 June 2010 10:13, James Morris <james at jwm-art.net> wrote:
> On 13 June 2010 08:35, Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org> wrote:
>> On 12 June 2010 19:09, Mike Evans <mike at tandem.f9.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Mike it be a need for the noapic flag or something like that.  My laptop
>>> hits that problem.  I had it with Fedora first and now I need it with
>>> ubuntu.
>>>
>>> MikeE
>>>

>> That might not be a bad plan... How do I do that in Grub 2, Lets just
>> say I'm not a great fan of Grub 2, it feels to me to be a step
>> backwards towards Lilo rather than a step forwards.
>>

> No I'm no fan of grub2 either. It seems to be a trend at the moment to
> split what used to be contained in a single configuration file, into
> lots of configuration files in a *.conf.d directory. X.org is at it
> now, but since the previous alternative for X.org configuration was
> writing policy files for HAL, the idea is starting to grow on me ;-)
>
> James.
>
>> Peter.

Hmm Yes, It seams to me that Grub 2 is only slightly better than Lilo
and loses many of the advantages that Grub 1 (I refuse to call is
Legacy had).

I ended up reading a thread on Ubuntu Forums which basically said

LILO supports only up to 16 different boot selections; GRUB supports
an unlimited number of boot entries.

That's not really a limit. 16 is more than the human brain can handle.

LILO cannot boot from network; GRUB can.

Neat feature but if I'm booting from a network there are other tools
available. anyway the standard method seams to be PXE and thats built
into most modern PCs now!

LILO must be written again every time you change the configuration
file; GRUB does not.

So does Grub what does update-grub do? Ok it does not rewrite the boot
sector but to the lay person thats not much of a difference, With Grub
1 all you need to do is update a text file, which means that you can
just mount the partition and do it. (easy from any live distro) you
don't need your partitians in the write places etc for update-grub to
work!

LILO does not have an interactive command interface.

True.

The main beauty of Grub 1 was in its Simplicity which has been lost in Grub 2!

Peter