[Klug-general] Linux Sound Programming

George Prowse george.prowse at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 11:29:08 UTC 2010

On 21/03/2010 11:19, Karl Lattimer wrote:

>>> You're basically saying "it's OK to criticise even though I'm not
>>> qualified to do so". My search on ohloh was to point that out so nobody
>>> else on this list thinks you are actually qualified to criticise a
>>> developer of Lennart's stature. There is no "ego search" involved here,
>>> quite the contrary, I was showing how you have no right to be so
>>> egotistical as to criticise someone far far more qualified in his work
>>> than you are.
>>
>> I'm not criticising him; I have never even heard of him, never will and
>> couldn't care less about him. You seem to have taken offense at a
>> flippant remark because you have happened to reply to an email by him on
>> a list.
>
> Actually Lennart is a good friend who has taken a LOT of shit from ill
> informed people bashing pulseaudio.

Well maybe you should think before responding to something that I didn't
say?

Anyway, it seems like lots of people are bashing pulseaudio from what
you say, that's never a good sign ;)

>>> There is no bickering, there is kernel space ALSA, and Pulse because non
>>> of that stuff should be in kernel space... This isn't an argument it was
>>> a discussion before the pulseaudio project was started. That's right a
>>> nice mature grown up discussion with kernel devs and app devs.
>>>
>>> You weren't in the loop on the discussions so you cannot judge the
>>> actions of those involved... Read the mailing lists, you'll see how it
>>> came together.
>>
>> How it came together doesn't matter in the slightest, what matters is
>> results. Anyway, I was talking generally.
>
> You think that "generally" people bicker about critical issues like
> this? Then you're an idiot, just because people on mailing lists like
> this can't actually coalesce into a common goal doesn't mean it's like
> that everywhere.

Heh, bickering and flames are everywhere, all you need to do is go to
some OSS/Linux news site and read. Didn't Alan Cox recently walk away
after some flare up with Linus?

>>> I think it's already synonymous with sound on linux if you're well
>>> informed enough to realise that. It isn't a mess out there, it's pretty
>>> sane, but muddying the waters with FUD as you're doing is detrimental to
>>> everyone.
>>>
>> Yeah, it's synonymous with sound if you first picked up an
>> Ubuntu-derived cd 6 months ago. I hope it lives up to its promises, I
>> really do. It will be the first thing in linux that has since udev
>
> Hmm, you miss the point here, developers are informed about it, users
> don't care, users shouldn't need to care, developers should. If you're
> not a developer then simply put your opinion doesn't really matter that
> much.

It's so nice to see that the opinion that kept linux in the dark ages is
still prevalent