[Klug-general] Today's Meet

James Blake jimmyblake at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 06:38:28 UTC 2010

I would love to have made it but unfortunately I had an exam (Certificate in Cloud Computing Security Knowledge, I could have chatted about how to perform a Denial of Service attack in DOS using DIR (how you can DoS in DOS using DIR).

Trust me, no matter how complicated you make a security system it can always get worse.  In fact the de facto information security standard ISO 27001 mandates that you make it worse every year, they call it 'continual improvement'  - users call it 'arrrrrgghhh'.

Our offices are in King's Cross, which is not one of the most upmarket parts of London.  We have both swipe cards and keypad entry systems mandated by CESG, the government's information security agency, on both all external entrances and those between internal 'trust boundaries'.  Basically it is a duck's bottom - we have more cameras than Thames Television (Julia has been there).

The first three times we did our fire drills and all of the fire exits swung open and stayed that way, providing convenient access from street level on three different roads into our offices.  The problem with mandating controls is that they simply can't account for all forms of human stupidity and neither can a CSO.

Regards

James