[Klug-general] Hard Drives

George Prowse george.prowse at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 14:39:37 UTC 2011

On 17/04/2011 10:39, Peter Childs wrote:
> My Linux Hard Disk has just failed..... Groan, not very much data
> except OS on it so that will be easy to sort out...... (Looks like its
> the Disk Controller thats failed not the disk as it works when it
> feels like it) Its a SATA.....
>
> Now need to get a new one, Whats the best way to go.
>
> Speed Vs Size Vs Cost Vs Reliability....
>
> meaning
>
> SATA Vs PATA Vs USB Vs NAS
>
> Also need to upgrade that machine upstairs running Myth on a 40Gig
> Disk which only takes PATA (Not SATA)
>
> Any suggestions which way to go?
>
> Peter.

Horses for courses really.

I have a 1TB NAS and a 1TB Internal. The NAS is ideal as long as you
dont use it often (I keep media like films and videos on it) and it
takes an age to transfer anything to and from it (compared to the
internal of course).

The internal is great for more intermediate storage (stuff you're going
to keep that you change quite often.

I personally wouldn't use a 1TB as a OS HDD, I use 300/250GB ones and
probably wil do until SSDs of those size come down in price.