[Klug-general] Dual Boot ... assistance please

Paul Lawrence paul.z.lawrence at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 19 09:31:29 UTC 2011

I have a Dell D400
laptop with Win XP that I use for demonstrations and I used the Ubuntu 10.10 live
CD to create a dual boot. All was fine. As far as I can tell, after a Ubuntu update,
I lost the XP option on startup. Couldn’t see anything on Ubuntu forums to help
so I used the live CD to try and repair and ended up creating another Ubuntu partition!
A bit fed up with the whole thing I used the Win XP CD to repair Windows but
now I can only see the Windows partition. On a 60G drive, I can see 30G. I
really don’t want to spend a whole day from scratch reloading XP, patches and SPs
if I don’t have to. Aim is to get back to a stable dual boot machine. Back to
basics I am sure but would anyone be kind enough to point me on the right track
and keep me there?