[Klug-general] low RAM

George Prowse george.prowse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 02:42:57 UTC 2011

On 02/03/2011 17:50, Rene Brehmer wrote:
> Hello Dan
>
> the attachment shows the the folders.
>
> tried to write the backup command in different way's but didn't work I
> took a few screenshots one is the terminal showing the commands I used
> and the rest shows the GNU nano when using
>
> "sudo nano /etc/x11/xorg.conf"   (opened blank)
>
> this lines should be added to the Section Devicebut as I got a blank
> page
>
> Option "PanelSize" "1280x1024"
> Option "sw_cursor" so I wrote
>
> but as I got a blank page I wrote:
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> Option "PanelSize" "1280x1024"
> Option "sw_cursor"
> EndSection
>
> thanks for helping
>
> regards
> Rene

Back in the olden days of Xfree86 everything seemed to be designed using
the "M" word, in the same way as the kernel - "monolithic". Huge
monstrosities of programs were created and the easiest way to guarantee
that everyone had something to argue about was to make sure the vim and
the emacs groups had to open their respective programs to change, fix
and edit everything.

Then the fashion changed and Ubuntu came along and decided to change the
alphabet. Suddenly M didn't stand for monolithic, it stood for "modular"
and with the new influx of desktop users came those who a) didn't really
care how it worked as long as it did and b) didn't want to spend 2 weeks
learning text editor keystrokes and syntax when they could just open
their (non command line available) GUI's editor (gedit, kwrite, kate
etc) to delete/add a few lines in a couple of seconds.

To cut a long story short, they cut up everything into little pieces,
old HAL went, devicekit came, static /dev went, udev came and you no
longer have phrases like "populate nodes with mknod..."

Now afaik Ubuntu generates it's own temporary configs with the settings
detected at boot so you can add or remove hardware without being left
with a blank screen. The problem with that is if you want to change
anything from the norm it's quite difficult. I haven't used Ubuntu in a
while but I tried fixing a problem but copying my (working) Gentoo
xorg.conf into ubuntu and it wasn't very impressed. You may want to try
commands like "X --config", "xorgconfig" and "Xorg -configure".

You might be better off with a distro that allows you more control like
Gentoo or Slackware. If those two seem a bit daunting then try something
in between like Arch or Sabayon. All four should give you the necessary
control you need to fine-tune your install

George

P.S. Have a quick read here for some useful info:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml