No subject

Sat Sep 24 00:49:04 UTC 2011

organisation and link of many "Societies", to support and encourage the use
of Free Software within Kent. or for want of a better name FSF Kent aka
(Free Software Foundation - Kent Branch)

so as it stands we have ICMP, Faversham LUG I've got nothing against what
seams to be happen that rather than being a "Roadshow" Klug more of a
communications link like lug.org.uk but just for Kent.

> We also get their advertising, liaison with T-shirt printers, the student
> newspaper etc. to spread the word to other students.
>
> 2.3 Where do I come in?
> Well, aside from what we've discussed, I'm a Computer & Comms Engineering
> PhD research engineer that's been here for a while. I haven't got to many
> contacts with the Uni. of Kent, but I know a lot of the lecturers and
> support stuff (technicians, admins) within the School of Engineering at
> Greenwich. I'm sure they would be happy to get on board for a CompSoc;
> something which I can start broaching the subject of now.

Does UKC Computer Society still exist,  http://compsoc.co.uk/ oh I guess
not, but if you give right people a nudge you may be able to revive it/get
some support, I'm sure nobody would mind.... From talking to some of them
last summer at the BarCamp Canterbury they are still around and are at
least worth contacting.

> 3 So, what's the time plan?
> As I say I already run a society here and have access to set up meetings
> or for people to come and visit. I can also arrange meetings with staff o=
> other interesting parties should they be required. As for leading up to
> setting up a society, I would like everyones input. In the mean time we c=
an
> get used to the venue under the gaming society, Maritime Games' (MG),
> banner whilst we formulate the constitution of "MedCompSoc" and get the
> ball rolling on that front. We can also work out KLUG association with it=
,
> and that dynamic, if needed (as our malleability we could have KLUG being=
> soc).
>
> So that KLUG does not stay stagnant, again under the MG banner, I can
> organise a monthly, weekend booking. This would give existing members tim=
> to get used to the facility, and possibly even to see if we want to go do=
wn
> that road.
>
> The main time constraints is to have something ready to go for the
> catchment in September when we can formalise a society in its own right,
> though we can do things with the Uni in the meantime.
>
> 4 The immediate future
> As far as I'm aware we don't have a meeting place for March. Therefore I
> would like to propose, before going and booking a Saturday, that I alread=
> have rooms booked for Sunday 18th March 10am-6pm. Now I can understand th=
> difficulty for some that a Sunday brings, but I will be available on camp=
us
> to talk in person and can arrange a meeting (prepare some slides if you
> would prefer I be more formal and the like) in one of the rooms I already
> have available.
>
> As long as I know by the 2nd of March I can book a Saturday, and we can
> arrange times accordingly.

If you want to be a "Active" Student Society, I would suggest a regular
weekly (During term time anyway) meet and go from there.

If you then want to organise extra events for the wider community then go
ahead.

Please feel free to ignore me, I'm only trying to dredge up my memories of
student life 12 years ago :)

Peter.

> 5 How to contact me.
> I'm ascertainable by e-mail, or on the #klug IRC. I'm also available on
> Skype - luciel8472 (yeah, yeah) but I'd prefer an e-mail to say you're
> adding me to skype with your username before just to make sure. For those
> that would like to meet me in person, the campus is where I'll be. During
> 9-5 weekdays there is a parking fee, but I am available in the Blake
> building - just arrange a time with me, and let security know you are
> visiting me (Luc Tidy). If you would prefer to contact me by telephone
> please send me a personal e-mail and I'll provide it to you.
>
> Of course, more ideas into the meting pot are always welcome,
>
> ~Luc

--0015175cb2c8e5036704b9571370

Think some important bit need to be put forward.<div><br><div class=3D"gmai=
l_quote">On 19 February 2012 18:11, Luc Tidy <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
With some positive feedback so far I would like to expand on a plan to get =
this moving forward. I will aim for this to not be too long,, but it will o=
utline my ideas. All of this, of course, is malleable. So we are clear I am=
 offering to facilitate to enable our community to move forward and in no w=
ay wish to dictate.<br>

1. What We Want<br>
First and foremost I would like us to have a discussion about where we curr=
ently are, and what people would like to see in the future. Ultimately, as =
we&#39;ll need it if KLUG becomes part of a society, is our mission stateme=
nt. To this end I would recommend the society is separate from KLUG itself,=
 this way KLUG can be a part of the society without being tied up and we ca=
n manage it as such. Similarly I think if we are going to get a broad catch=
ment, then we need a broad society - &quot;Medway Computer Society&quot; (a=
s these are done, MedComSoc), or along the lines will fit the bill and hope=
fully will not tread on any toes. This will mean that KLUG will be in assoc=
iation with &#39;MedComSoc&#39;.<br>
ter Society=A0similar=A0in nature to ICMP. but with a more computer slant.<=
/div><div>=A0</div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 =
.8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

2. What I Can Offer<br>
I&#39;ve been doing this stuff at the institution for five years, when UMSA=
 itself has only been about four, I&#39;ve known the paperwork hassle since=
 it all started up and can &#39;do the books&#39; so-to-speak. So by proxy =
what does UMSA require, and what does it offer.<br>
n, UMSA (Universities=A0of Medway Student=A0Association) so you=A0suggestin=
g=A0the &quot;Society&quot;=A0should=A0be part of the &quot;Student Union&q=
uot; (for want of a better term for us who left University 12 years ago!) P=
ut on what I remember of the politics when I was at Canterbury you idea is =
flawed.</div>
border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
2.1 UMSA Requirements<br>
UMSA asks for a membership &quot;fee&quot; of =A33 per head (please read on=
, you&#39;ll like it) for the year, along with a constitution and some basi=
c risk assessment. I can certainly handle the latter two. As for the former=
 this =A33 per head goes into an UMSA account, with a set amount (depending=
 on the number of members) added to it for expenditure by the society. For =
instance for 12 members, there is an =A380 investment from UMSA. So everyon=
e puts in a total of =A336 and the society has a total UMSA account to spen=
d of =A3116.<br>

We also need to cater to students, as in my previous e-mail I feel this wou=
ldn&#39;t be that difficult to get going at all. It may mean some advertisi=
ng stuff, and attendance of Fresher&#39;s fayres but I&#39;m sure we&#39;ll=
 get the numbers. The minimum to be a society is 12 students, but with so m=
uch IT/CompSci/CompEng on the site I don&#39;t see this being a problem.<br=

ents. The &quot;extra&quot; =A380 comes from University=A0sponsorship, read=
 &quot;Grant&quot; and comes from SU funds. The use of the Society fund is =
tightly=A0governed=A0as to what we can and can&#39;t spend the money on=A0a=
nd If we &quot;Found&quot; a UMSA society we need to ensure we agree with=
=A0those=A0boundaries. Partically if we are allowing Non-Students to join.<=
/div>
lass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;=
padding-left:1ex">

2.2 UMSA Benefits<br>
As I mentioned, depending on membership we receive a pot of money from UMSA=
 that could be used in further advertising, trips, social gatherings, even =
to the extent of conferences/conventions if we want to do so.<br>
Similarly, a society pays nothing for booking rooms on campus, and to give =
an idea as our tabletop society is the most active on campus, we get two ev=
enings a week, at least one Sunday and for some two Sundays each month all =
for free. These are generally lecture rooms, though I can liaise with my co=
lleagues to see about computer labs - though I will admit this is something=
 I&#39;ve not entirely ventured into before.<br>
=A0affiliated=A0or not could book rooms, Some &quot;Major Societies&quot; c=
in the main were.</div>
l=A0Reason as they wanted to be able to have a &quot;Selected&quot; or call=
ed officers rather than Elected as required by SU &quot;Rules&quot; and als=
o so they could spend there money on hmm what they wanted to.</div>
 so they could spend there money on Equipment ie computers rather than meet=
ings. but that was 12 years ago and things may have changed.</div><div>
r Society=A0afflicting=A0its self with KLUG. and would like to=A0encourage=
=A0them to do so and I am more than happy to support that group in any way=
=A0necessaries. If &quot;MedComSoc&quot; is able to accept &quot;Non Studen=
t Membership&quot; then I&#39;m more than happy to join, so long the rules =
for it being part of the UMSA are not too &quot;onourus&quot; and &quot;Lim=
iting&quot;</div>
;Electronics&quot; based for me and I wanted a group more intrested in Comp=
ook at other big=A0organisations=A0such as ukuug, fsf and BCS - Kent Branch=
. all of which have benifits.</div>
 turning into an organisation and link of many &quot;Societies&quot;, to su=
pport and=A0encourage=A0the use of Free Software within Kent. or for want o=
f a better name FSF Kent aka (Free Software Foundation - Kent Branch)=A0</d=
iv>
t nothing against what seams to be happen that rather than being a &quot;Ro=
adshow&quot; Klug more of a communications link like <a href=3D"http://lug.=
org.uk">lug.org.uk</a> but just for Kent.</div>
;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
We also get their advertising, liaison with T-shirt printers, the student n=
ewspaper etc. to spread the word to other students.<br>
2.3 Where do I come in?<br>
Well, aside from what we&#39;ve discussed, I&#39;m a Computer &amp; Comms E=
ngineering PhD research engineer that&#39;s been here for a while. I haven&=
#39;t got to many contacts with the Uni. of Kent, but I know a lot of the l=
ecturers and support stuff (technicians, admins) within the School of Engin=
eering at Greenwich. I&#39;m sure they would be happy to get on board for a=
 CompSoc; something which I can start broaching the subject of now.<br>
t,=A0=A0<a href=3D"http://compsoc.co.uk/">http://compsoc.co.uk/</a>=A0oh I =
guess not, but if you give right people a nudge you may be able to revive i=
t/get some support, I&#39;m sure nobody would mind.... From talking to some=
 of them last summer at the BarCamp Canterbury they are still around and ar=
e at least worth contacting.=A0</div>
border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
3 So, what&#39;s the time plan?<br>
As I say I already run a society here and have access to set up meetings or=
 for people to come and visit. I can also arrange meetings with staff or ot=
her interesting parties should they be required. As for leading up to setti=
ng up a society, I would like everyones input. In the mean time we can get =
used to the venue under the gaming society, Maritime Games&#39; (MG), banne=
r whilst we formulate the constitution of &quot;MedCompSoc&quot; and get th=
e ball rolling on that front. We can also work out KLUG association with it=
, and that dynamic, if needed (as our malleability we could have KLUG being=
 a soc).<br>

So that KLUG does not stay stagnant, again under the MG banner, I can organ=
ise a monthly, weekend booking. This would give existing members time to ge=
t used to the facility, and possibly even to see if we want to go down that=
 road.<br>

The main time constraints is to have something ready to go for the catchmen=
t in September when we can formalise a society in its own right, though we =
can do things with the Uni in the meantime.<br>
4 The immediate future<br>
As far as I&#39;m aware we don&#39;t have a meeting place for March. Theref=
ore I would like to propose, before going and booking a Saturday, that I al=
ready have rooms booked for Sunday 18th March 10am-6pm. Now I can understan=
d the difficulty for some that a Sunday brings, but I will be available on =
campus to talk in person and can arrange a meeting (prepare some slides if =
you would prefer I be more formal and the like) in one of the rooms I alrea=
dy have available.<br>

As long as I know by the 2nd of March I can book a Saturday, and we can arr=
be a &quot;Active&quot; Student=A0Society, I would=A0suggest=A0a regular we=
ekly (During term time anyway) meet and go from there.</div>
re me, I&#39;m only trying to dredge up my memories of student life 12 year=
s ago :)</div>
ote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex=
">
5 How to contact me.<br>
I&#39;m ascertainable by e-mail, or on the #klug IRC. I&#39;m also availabl=
e on Skype - luciel8472 (yeah, yeah) but I&#39;d prefer an e-mail to say yo=
u&#39;re adding me to skype with your username before just to make sure. Fo=
r those that would like to meet me in person, the campus is where I&#39;ll =
be. During 9-5 weekdays there is a parking fee, but I am available in the B=
lake building - just arrange a time with me, and let security know you are =
visiting me (Luc Tidy). If you would prefer to contact me by telephone plea=
se send me a personal e-mail and I&#39;ll provide it to you.<br>

Of course, more ideas into the meting pot are always welcome,<br>