[Klug-general] answer to my FOI request from Kent County Coucil

Antonio Mendoza Mendoza agmendozam at yahoo.es
Tue Oct 14 21:06:15 UTC 2014

Hi all
Interesting reading too...It's not just Munich: Open source gains new ground in Germany

|   |
| It's not just Munich: Open source gains new ground in Ge...Another municipality in Germany makes the switch to open source from Microsoft software. |
|  |
| Ver en www.techrepublic.com | Vista previa por Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

IMHO, I think it is all about commodity, "easyness" and lazyness in terms of a "centralised" management and maintenance, as Dan pointed. Also due to the lack of knowledge and awareness of other ways to do things.On top of that, how the KCC would be able to justify the costs of a bespoken software to manage the whole Council they bought a few years ago, software that did cost a "fortune" at the time and never worked or did what they wanted properly. Sorry, although I remember reading about that in the newspapers I cannot remember the source of this, but I remeber it brought out quite a discussion as it was a "recesion/crisis" time and they where closing centres because they could afford/maintain them.When Munich council (among others) and a whole country as Brazil have done the step (the brazilian government in a whole and all their administrative offices moved to Linux many years ago), why KCC shouldn't be able to do so.
Regarding end users my sister is quite illiterate in computers or any other technical stuff, and she is using in a daily basis my very old laptop which is running Linux. She has no problems in logging in, browse the internet or accesing files and documents in the system. How long (or how expensive) can take to explain an end user how to open a (non-Internet explorer) browser or basic IT work if they already know the very basic as Windows users. How long can take for a novice to learn the basics when they are not still "polluted" by a Microsoft environment.I think everything is about lack of interest or personal interests and business relationships.
RegardsAntonio.