[Lincs] Linux from Scratch

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Tue Jul 27 20:13:40 BST 2004

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 19:03, Iain Baker wrote:
> I have to say i think it sounds like a great idea...
>
> I don't know about you, but thats what i thought about what
>
> Grahame.Mulliss at ulh.nhs.uk had to say... remember?:
> > Ref... earlier conversation... would anyone be interested in
> > this?
> >
> > Earlier conversation between Steve Paulger and myself...
> >
> > (snip) Silly idea but... have you played with the idea of
> > creating a custom LLUG distro and distributing it on the
> > LLUG site as a promo. Could also use it as a distro to run
> > lectures on at events... (snip)
> >
> > I don't know if you got any feedback from anyone else in the
> > group but I like the idea. I think if you based it on
> > Knoppix to boot from a CD that would be great. Then everyone
> > could use similar systems if they brought them too a meeting
> > and newcomers being encouraged to use linux wouldn't have to
> > commit before testing out a working system.
>
> I dont want to seem like im adding extra work, but if it is a
> successfull live distro maybe we could think about making a
> fully nested version at a later date?
>
> > [Grahame] Would be a lot of work, but an interesting
> > project.
> >
> > (snip)
> >
> > I'm going to have a read about making distros as this sounds
> > like an interesting project.
> >
> > [Grahame] Working my way through the "Linux from Scratch"
> > book right now.

Go ahead and write one, I can embed it onto my current
live CD.  The problem is pleasing everyone though.

Mine is a source based distro, like Gentoo I believe.

If you want a general installer you will have to have a
packager, since most people do not want to build from source

There is RedHat's rpm or Debian apt; or brew your own

The CD boots up at level 3 and has X installed

All you need to provide is the scripts and stuff for users
to do a general install.

Chris