[Lincs] Archive is private from now on!

Keith Marshall keith.d.marshall at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 14 23:23:12 BST 2004

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 9:17 pm, Peter Cooper wrote:
> On 14 Sep 2004, at 21:11, Ben Francis wrote:
> > There must be a better way of solving the spam problem here, if only
> > suggesting that people use a different address especially for mailing
> > lists.
>
> I tried that when I signed up. I quickly found, however, that the list
> wouldn't accept posts from me as even though I could receive the list
> at a different address (thanks to a 'catch-all').. any posts I made
> would have my normal 'From' address, and the list would reject my post.
> I know the usual solution to this is to create another account in your
> e-mail program with a specific From address, but I wasn't willing to go
> to this hassle.. and used my regular address, unfortunately forgetting
> about the Web archive.

What is really required, as MJ Ray indicated, is an archiving system which
obfuscates e-mail addresses, as messages are stored;  (and I am inclined to
agree with Marc, that simply replacing @ with _at_ *doesn't* adequately
obfuscate anything).  Mailing lists on the GNU servers, which also use
mailman, replace *all* e-mail addresses in archived postings with something
like address at bogus.example.com -- IMO, they are actually *too* agressive in
this, but that is another issue!  Ideally, we should have a similar setup,
perhaps keeping the real user name, but substituting a bogus domain.  If Marc
doesn't have sufficient administrative privilege himself, to set this up,
then perhaps the admins at mailman.lug.org.uk could be prevailed upon, to put
something workable in place.

Best regards,
Keith.