[Lincs] [Fwd: Venue for install fest]

Keith Marshall keith.d.marshall at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 23 21:53:30 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 10:09 pm, Iain Baker wrote:
> Keith Marshall wrote:
> >>
> >>not neccessary for an install party, it just adds extra miles
> >
> > That depends on where you are travelling from!
>
> anywhere further south than the venue...
>
> > By what right do you presume to speak for those of us living in the
> > northern reaches of the realm, and for whom a venue such as Scunthorpe
> > would be eminently suitable?
>
> more suitable than a venue in the north of lincolnshire but still within
> lincolnshire??

Are you implying that Scunthorpe is not in Lincolnshire?

The geographical county of Lincolnshire, (irrespective of arbitrary, and
irrelevant, adminstrative district boundaries), extends from the Humber at
the northern extreme, to the Wash at the south.  Last time I looked, the
Humber hadn't moved so far south as to exclude Scunthorpe.  Indeed,
Scunthorpe could claim a stronger right to be as "within Lincolnshire" than
Boston, since it is a greater distance *inside* the geoghraphical boundary --
not that I am trying to suggest that Boston *isn't* in Lincolnshire; it
clearly *is*, albeit right on the boundary.

> > IIRC, when you held your first meeting in Boston -- in the extreme south
> > of the region -- disappointment was expressed that more of us didn't
> > travel from the north, to attend.  So why do you now baulk at travelling
> > north, to join us on our turf?
>
> if Scunthorpe is your turf then surely Scundog would be more
> appropriate... i did not baulk on travelling north, only on travelling
> further north than our county boundry

So, you want to exclude *Lincolnshire* residents, living in the northern part
of the county, from the Lincolnshire LUG, just because SCUNDOG happens to be
nearby.  Smells of facism to me.  And anyway, Scunthorpe is *not* north of
our county boundary, and neither is it my local turf BTW, since I live just
outside Grimsby -- in yet another administrative district, but still within
the geographical county of Lincolnshire.

> > Sorry to have to say this, but if you want a Lincolnshire
> > LUG, actively supported by members from all over the county, then, given
> > the area involved, you need to be prepared to travel a bit.
>
> i am happy to travel, and had to travel in order to attend Bostons
> meeting, and will endevour to attend all meeting wherever they be
> held... and will continue to offer lifts to those that are unable to
> travel and are on my route!

I too am prepared to travel, within reason.  To attend in Boston, I would
have to travel the entire length of the county, from north to south.  I would
be prepared to do this, for the occasional meeting, but would soon become
frustrated if other attendees weren't prepared to do likewise, for a balanced
distribution of meetings around the county.

With a group serving the residents of a county the size of Lincolnshire, it
is inevitable that attendance at meetings will involve a significant amount
of travel, for a majority of attendees.  To distribute that travel fairly, it
is necessary to rotate the venue around several locations -- north, south,
east, west and central.  (While it might seem that a central location, such
as Lincoln, would be fairest to all, even that does tend to favour those who
live centrally, over those who live around the periphery).

> > BTW, I wasn't present at the Boston meeting, not because I thought it too
> > far to travel from Grimsby, but because I had another commitment for that
> > day, which I was unable to defer.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Keith.
>
> sorry if this comes accross in a negative light but i feel context is a
> powerful tool and far too easily miss-used... so i was just placing it
> into the context meant
>
> no offence meant in either email, and for reassurence non taken either!

I am pleased about that.  None was intended in my previous post either,
although reading it again, I can see that it might have been inferred from my
tone -- I apologise for that.

BTW, I hope no offence will be taken from this reply either -- again none is
intended.  I am copying it back to the group, because I feel this is an
important point for consideration.  Ours are just two opinions of many, and
the meeting co-ordinators need to consider them, along with any others which
might be expressed by other group members.

> yours
> iain

Best regards,
Keith.