[linux-sec-uk] Linux Backup Solutions: Amanda, Bacula etc.

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Oct 6 17:21:15 BST 2003

Quoting James Davis <jamesd at jml.net>:

> What are people using to backup their Linux systems? I'm currently using
> Bacula to backup a small but important MySQL database.
>
> James

Amanda (www.amanda.org) using dump for the backend.  Backs up my linux, aix
and solaris machines.  For DB use, I dump the database as a text file before
the backup, so I can restore (import) that if needed.  No safe way to backup
a live database binary. When possible, I use a wrapper script to create a
snapshot of the disk to back up, but even then I still text dump any db files.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!