[linuxjobs] Software Engineer Job based in Manchester UK

Kate Oliver Kate.Oliver at hvpd.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 09:30:17 UTC 2012

Job Title: Software Engineer
Department/Group: Software
Job Code/ Req#: SoftwareEng2012
Location: Head Office, Manchester, UK
Position Type: Full-time
Salary Range: 36k - up to £40k dependent on knowledge and experience level
Senior experienced position

Job Description:
C/C++ Software Engineer

High Voltage Partial Discharge Ltd (HVPD) are experts in the growing technology field of Partial Discharge (PD) test and monitoring technology for in-service medium and high voltage cables and plant. We offer a complete range of High Voltage Test equipment and solutions to our electricity generation, utility, industrial and commercial clients across our Global Customer Base. HVPD Ltd has an exciting opportunity, based in our head office in Manchester, UK for an experienced C/C++ software engineer with a good understanding of Linux systems API and the GNU developer toolchain.

Role and Responsibilities

The successful candidate will be responsible for:

. Developing C/C++ (and STL) based GNU/Linux system applications development
. Developing C++/Qt based cross platform GUI applications
. Implementing unit tests and regression testing frameworks for C/C++ applications
. Creating and maintaining comprehensive software documentation
. Participating in code reviews (internal and with clients) and identify opportunities for improving and re-factoring existing C/C++ software

The role will involve working closely with other software developers; a positive attitude and the ability to work and contributes as part of a team is essential.

All staff are expected to work to ISO9001 standards at all time.

Essential Requirements

. Good knowledge of C/C++ including the Standard Template Library
. Familiarity with Boost
. Experience in developing Unix/Linux applications using Linux (or POSIX) systems API
. Degree in Computer Science or 4+ years of experience in Software Development

Desirable Skills

. Familiarity with "Modern C++" Idiom
. PC interfacing knowledge and experience with interfacing
. GNU/Linux systems
. Knowledge of USB, PCI, and RS232 protocols
. Knowledge of basic electronics and ability to use electronic test equipment such as oscilloscopes and function generators
. Familiarity with Windows system API
. Knowledge of Network Programming

In return we offer:
. Company pension scheme (after qualifying period)
. Childcare vouchers
. Excellent career progression opportunities

To apply please send your CV to careers at hvpd.co.uk.