[Lust] Introduction

Rob linux at hyborian.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 10:44:06 UTC 2010

Hi Alec,

It is very quiet here ...

There were some meetings arranged a year or two ago, mostly in pubs in
or around Luton iirc.  I had other commitments at the time (I think they
always chose Tuesdays or Thursdays) so was unable to attend.

Brief personal introduction: I live in Hemel.  I'm an IT professional.
I started my IT career in 1993 while working for the Civil Service,
looking after DOS PCs, soon moved onto Windows 3, 3.1, 3.11 (Windows for
Workgroups!) using NetWare for file and print services and WordPerfect
Office for e-mail.

Then in 1998 our Unix sysadmin left, and being "the guy who knew about
computers" (managers, eh?), I was thrust kicking and screaming into the
world of Solaris (version 2.5.1), and the Unix command line.  Soon came
to appreciate just how powerful this new environment was!  I was quickly
into RedHat 5, then 6, then Mandrake, Debian, Gentoo, Crux.  I finally
settled on Arch Linux.  My family (wife and kids) and I (including my
mother-in-law and Dad) all use Arch.  I have one Debian server,
internet-facing, for web and mail services, but all other workstations,
laptops and my one server at home run Arch.

I currently work for an outsourcing company as a Solaris and Linux
SysAdmin.

Welcome to the Luton/St Albans Linux user group.

Would be interested to hear how others "got into" GNU/Linux ...

Regards,

Rob