FW: [Malvern] Programming languages.

Andy Lowton andy at dragonfly.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 27 09:39:24 BST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 21:06 +0100, Ian Pascoe wrote:

> >From the various mails that have gone about I don't reckon it would be that
> difficult to move between Microsoft and a Unix / Linux based programming
> tool - or does someone know any different?

Depends what you mean by tool. The basics of "C" are exactly the same on
both platforms, but the development tools will be very different. On
windows it's gonna be gui based I would think, whereas on Unix you
should use vi 8-) Joking aside (though I do use vi for programming), I'm
sure there are gui based development tools for Unix.

You asked "what is perl"? - Check out:

http://www.perl.org/

but basically it's a higher level interpreted language which rocks.
However, I would recommend python.

http://www.python.org/

If you want other people to understand your programs and indeed YOU want
to understand them 6 months after you wrote them, I would go python.

l8z

andy