[Malvern] Help!!

Steve Cashmore mlug at cashmore.me.uk
Thu Dec 14 10:15:15 GMT 2006

Actually I've now succeeded after a bit of a struggle.

Trouble was a bug in the 'dmraid' disk driver.  Although I'm not using
the raid feature, FC6 hardware detect found the raid controller and
loaded the module.  Invoking the install with the 'nodmraid' option got
me past that lockup but installed a broken system.  The drive I'm
installing on *is* using the raid controller but in a non-raid
configuration.  The 'dmraid' driver doesn't seem to like that.  The
machine has 3 drives, 1 with DOS, XP and QNX partitions, the second with
a large shared linux swap & XP swap together with FC4, and the third is
removable and contains Amanda backups.

I'm installing FC6 over the existing FC4 installation after a partition
resize & reformat using the excellent GParted live CD.

I made a grub floppy with a custom kernel line and managed to get the
system booted but then it locked up during the first-time video detect
in an endless video changing loop.  It's a pretty ordinary Radeon 8500
AGP card.  I crashed out and booted a rescue cd, mounted the new system
and cleared the first-time boot flag.  After correcting the installed
grub kernel line the system now booted and I configured 'X' manually.
Yum got me 330Mb of updates (this is a minimum X install!) and I am now
up and running.  Now I just need to install some compiler packages and
I'm away.
Instead of the rescue CD I could probably have just added the 'single'
option to the kernel command in grub, but I wasn't sure if the
first-time boot stuff would trip me up again.

Thanks for the advice.
--
Steve