[Malvern] Help!!

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Thu Dec 14 18:49:41 GMT 2006

Steve Cashmore wrote:
> Yum got me 330Mb of updates (this is a minimum X install!) and I am now
> up and running.  Now I just need to install some compiler packages and
> I'm away.
Fedora is not a slow moving target, I just had 40MB of updates today on
the iMac. I last updated it 2 or 3 days ago.

I should maybe add the following for completeness.
These servers I saw the same problem on had a Fedora Respin installed on
them, this is Fedora with all the current updates as of the respin date
already applied. The respin date was sometime in August, I installed
these servers just a few weeks ago.
Perhaps what I should have done after installing the first was to then
apply all the other updates issued since the respin date before cloning
the installation across the other servers.
Instead all the servers were updated individually, with no network
access. Turns out it's easy if you know the trick. The
/etc/yum.repos.d/* files were altered to point to the part of the local
hard drive where the install dvd and all the updates since the respin
date were copied.
Then yum update was run and 280MB of package updates took about 2
minutes to complete on these new xeons. Neat!
This also meant that any required but not installed packages could just
be installed with a yum install foobar command. Handy if you can't
connect them to the internet.

Cheers

Rick