[Malvern] Memory Reliability

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 00:36:10 BST 2007

On 8/13/07, Richard Forster <rick at forster.uklinux.net> wrote:

> Unless you use that thrice-cursed abomination known as Flash[1]. When it
> goes it hang Firefox. Closing (well, killing) and restarting Firefox
> leads to a nice dialog box telling me that Firefox is already running
> and that I should either close it down or reboot. I can't find a way to
> close the invisible Firefox and end up rebooting.
>
> So, does anyone know how to kill unkillable processes and save me these
> reboots?

In Terminal:
pkill firefox-bin

or

killall firefox-bin

Rebooting is very rarely necessary in Linux, in any case:
http://matthewstechnologyblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/how-to-recover-ubuntulinux-pc.html

To further annoy me, when shutting down the system can't unmount the
> disk cleanly because some process won't take it's filthy paws off the
> hard drive. Thank $KERNELHACKER for journalled filesystems.

Do the logs maybe show which process it is? Where do you see that it can't
unmount the disk?

[1] Yes, I know you can redefine beta software as 'that which forces