[Malvern] Memory Reliability

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Mon Aug 13 06:25:01 BST 2007

Matthew Wild wrote:
> On 8/13/07, Richard Forster <rick at forster.uklinux.net> wrote:
>> Unless you use that thrice-cursed abomination known as Flash[1]. When it
>> goes it hang Firefox. Closing (well, killing) and restarting Firefox
>> leads to a nice dialog box telling me that Firefox is already running
>> and that I should either close it down or reboot. I can't find a way to
>> close the invisible Firefox and end up rebooting.
>>
>> So, does anyone know how to kill unkillable processes and save me these
>> reboots?
>
> In Terminal:
> pkill firefox-bin
pkill I didn't know about. How is it different from kill (with -9 etc if
necessary) or killall?

> or
>
> killall firefox-bin
And when killall doesn't work? That was the first thing I tried.
Even kill -9 PID exits silently, indicating a success, but the process
continues to exist in the top listings. I've even caught myself trying
to kill non-existent processes just to check that the 'no process' error
message appears. :-)

The disk unmounting issue appears in the shutdown messages. Fedora tries
a few times, fails, then I don't know exactly what happens but it
reboots. It's just like when you have a terminal open with the current
directory inside a CD then you try to unmount the CD (except for the
rebooting obviously).