[Malvern] Memory Reliability

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 13:09:08 BST 2007

On 8/13/07, Richard Forster <rick at forster.uklinux.net> wrote:

> >> So, does anyone know how to kill unkillable processes and save me these
> >> reboots?
> >
> > In Terminal:
> > pkill firefox-bin
> pkill I didn't know about. How is it different from kill (with -9 etc if
> necessary) or killall?

pkill is just the same as kill, but looks up the process by name. pgrep
[name], its friend will show you the PIDs of running processes with that
name.

pkill -9 works, just as kill -9

> > or
> >
> > killall firefox-bin
> And when killall doesn't work? That was the first thing I tried.
> Even kill -9 PID exits silently, indicating a success, but the process
> continues to exist in the top listings. I've even caught myself trying
> to kill non-existent processes just to check that the 'no process' error
> message appears. :-)

That's umm... odd. So the firefox-bin process is unkillable? Even with -9?
What does the ps -el line say for firefox-bin?

The disk unmounting issue appears in the shutdown messages. Fedora tries
> a few times, fails, then I don't know exactly what happens but it
> reboots. It's just like when you have a terminal open with the current
> directory inside a CD then you try to unmount the CD (except for the
> rebooting obviously).

I don't really know what could be going on here. All I know is that I don't
have the problem with Ubuntu... :P

Matthew.