[Malvern] That SPA921 again !

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Sat Dec 22 23:04:42 GMT 2007

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 08:22:18PM +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> So far,  I have succeeded in getting my account working  at sipgate.co.uk .
> I can make calls with ekiga using my lap top.
>
> I cannot get my SPA921  ( on the same ethernet router ) to talk to the SIP
> server, nor place calls. I think I have the correct pass-words etc.  I
> don't get dialtone, though some sources suggest that I should.

So you've got two systems using the same service, one of which works, the
other of which doesn't?  Use wireshark on your PC to see at which point in
the protocol it fails.

> Is anyone else using the Linksys SPA921 ?

I'm not, don't bother much with voice calls apart from on my mobile.

> Would it be easier if I had a running  asterisk-style  PBX on my  host
> machine  (Debian  Etch ) ?

Sounds like a waste of time to me.

> I have been  trying to keep  the SIP-phone  separate from the main host.

Why?

> Any further hints most gratefully awaited !
>
> Does anyone use H323 ?

I've no idea what Skype uses.  Possibly h323 but probably proprietary.

Chris Eilbeck