[Newark] In Response to Chris & forLinux

Craig Lynch c.m.lynch87 at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 15 14:50:02 BST 2007

> I was talking to ForLinux about perhaps adding a link to them on some page (resources - I'm guessing) on the Newark LUG website.
> The only reason being that they are in Newark - and if the odd business comes to us wanting to find out about Linux, it might be a useful place to
> pass them onto.

If you think we can grab the attention of businesses in the area, I
can't see a problem with a link.
Sponsorship kind of thing - 'hosting provided by the great guys at
'ForLinux' maybe?

> Incidentally, ForLinux (currently based at the Bearings) are
> planned to move to new premises around December and have offered the use of
> their new building for certain LUG events.

That's fantastic news - a place to meet :)

Any particular events they have in mind?

I've got ideas brewing already.. A lil' 'showhome' if you will.
A 'Server' system - showing a fairly comprehensive server setup. A whole
LAMP stack maybe serving up some simple pages..?

A 'Workstation' - showing how the system holds together in a corporate
environment, such as using own UNIX based technologies, like GFS and
such and then showing how compatible the system can be, opening '.doc' ,
logging into a windows server.

A 'Desktop' - showing how the OS is brilliant for a home environment as
well as a corporate environment..
Showing apps for young 'uns, games and other such home desktop uses..

Obviously, we'll have to fix some boxes together for this sorta thing;
just an idea.

> Basically, I'm wanting to know what you guys think would be best to do here.
> Please let me know!

Basically- great ideas, if we can get anyone involved its a 'good thing'
Just make sure to listen to what they are thinking and be flexible with
your own ideas..

Craig