[Nottingham] via kt4 Ultra Raid Board...any good with linux?

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Nov 28 18:46:01 2002

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 02:23:32PM +0000, Lee wrote:
> > as for mirroring in software, I've always been a bit dubious about it,
> > because NT's mirror is so so bad in software , but maybe linux is a
> > breath of fresh air, I know it is in other departments  :-).
>
> Unfortunately, in software RAID, linux sucks big time.

What are the reasons for this statement?  Plenty of distributions support the
software RAID, and it is used, never seen complaints about it, and it's been
stable since 2.2, if something was problematic in it I'd expect there to be
more discussion on the LKML.

> > Can you mirror a boot device in linux with software?
>
> Nope. You can get / mirrored, but not /boot IIRC.

I disagree, I have used a software RAID setup with / and /boot mirrored, it
does work, though you have to follow the HOWTOs on RAID carefully.

Rob