[Nottingham] via kt4 Ultra Raid Board...any good with linux?

Matthew Sackman nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Nov 28 19:44:00 2002

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 06:36:06PM +0000, Robert Davies wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 November 2002 20:50, you wrote:
> > Unfortunately, in software RAID, linux sucks big time.
>
> What are the reasons for this statement?  Plenty of distributions support the
> software RAID, and it is used, never seen complaints about it, and it's been
> stable since 2.2, if something was problematic in it I'd expect there to be
> more discussion on the LKML.

I gave a whole bunch of reasons towards the bottom of my previous email.
Yeah, for bog standard RAID work it's fine. But as soon as you loose a
disk and it has to recover, and it's a slightly complex setup then you
have all manner of problems persuading it that you know best. The tools
are inconsistent in their behaviour and documentation.

> > > Can you mirror a boot device in linux with software?
> >
> > Nope. You can get / mirrored, but not /boot IIRC.
>
> I disagree, I have used a software RAID setup with / and /boot mirrored, it
> does work, though you have to follow the HOWTOs on RAID carefully.

OK, it was a long time since I had looked at this in the HOWTOs. I
suspect it's changed. There certainly were issues with doing this.

--
Matthew Sackman

BOFH excuse #335:
the AA battery in the wallclock sends magnetic interference