[Nottingham] via kt4 Ultra Raid Board...any good with linux?

Simon Huggins nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Nov 29 13:53:00 2002

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 07:43:18PM +0000, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 06:36:06PM +0000, Robert Davies wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 November 2002 20:50, you wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, in software RAID, linux sucks big time.
> > What are the reasons for this statement?  Plenty of distributions
> > support the software RAID, and it is used, never seen complaints
> > about it, and it's been stable since 2.2, if something was
> > problematic in it I'd expect there to be more discussion on the
> > LKML.
> I gave a whole bunch of reasons towards the bottom of my previous
> email.  Yeah, for bog standard RAID work it's fine. But as soon as you
> loose a disk and it has to recover, and it's a slightly complex setup
> then you have all manner of problems persuading it that you know best.

Hmm, rereading your mail you seem to be saying it doesn't work with
ENBD.  ENBD doesn't appear to be in standard kernels either.

I hope if as you say the author of ENBD thinks "both software RAID and
LVM(1) is complete poo." (sic) that he's helping to fix them.

> The tools are inconsistent in their behaviour and documentation.

Do you have specifics here or is this only ENBD specific too?

Simon.

--
* "Everyone who is alive, please raise your hand. See, told ya," -  *
| Rimmer.                                                           |