NLUG Links page (Was: [Nottingham] Basford Nottingham computer shop)

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 29 09:50:01 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Duncan John Fyfe wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Simon Huggins wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 02:15:51PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> > > OK, so who's the NLUG webmaster, and where's CompuPlus...?
> >
> > Well you can always use the Wiki or pester Paul Sladen.
> >

> I'm in the process of updating the web pages (adding a local
> links bit etc) but I'm being a bit slow about it.
> If your lucky you might see something by the end of the week.
>
> So keep those 'local links' rolling in (via the mailing list
> please).

Replying to myself, always a bad sign...

I need some feedback on how to judge what links are fit for adding to
the web page.

What do people consider local ?
I'm thinking NG post codes only but there are bound to be exceptions.

also,

on what basis should I accept/decline requests for linking ?
eg.
1.	Would you please add a link for mycompany@nottingham. I have
	never contributed to the group but would like some free advertising.
	Yae, or Nae ?

2.	I offer 'free software' based solutions through myconsultancy@nottingham.
	I have made a significant contribution to the group (well, they bought
	me a beer at the last meeting ;)
	Yae, or Nae ?

4.      I offer 'free software' based solutions through mytoasterrunslinux@nottingham.
        I have not contributed to the lug.
        Yae, or Nae ?

3.	Paul (subs@rydertech) has asked for www.rydertech.co.uk to be listed on the
	basis of future hadrware provision.  Looking at the website they offer lots
	of services other than hardware but I havn't found a mention of 'free software'
	being used.
	Yae or Nae ?

My inclination is to judge things on individual contributions to the lug and or
promotion of free software and the community .

so,
	http://www.web-systems.co.uk/
	would make the grade. They supply hardware, we all need that and they
	are pretty much software neutral.

	http://www.19inch.net/
	would qualify because it is local and we all like Paul.

but     http://www.rydertech.co.uk/
	would not (sorry) because as it stands the hardware is a side-line for a company
	whose main business does not (obviously) promote the use of free software and
	might draw business away from those who do.

thoughts ?

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,