[Nottingham] NanNet

Alex Tibbles nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Feb 19 17:31:01 2003

> Elimination of the Information Underclass.
a worthy goal. (I'm being sincere).

> > I think that projects like naan are of limited
> benefit
> > (still interesting) 'cos the 'revolution' has been
> in
> > *inter*networking.
> >

> Hmm, Limited benefit to who? and what? do you have
> adsl/cable in your
> home? how quickly you forget the pleasure of using a
> 56k modem. ;-)
Yes, I have DSL. Before that I watched in dismay as my
56K modem became less and less useful as the
information I wanted became more and more diluted (in
HTML mail, graphics-heavy web-sites etc.). I'm not
sure I get you.

I see the big impact of internetworking as flattening
the communication costs (not just money) vs. distance
graph (for certain very useful cases). It costs about
the same (~0UKP to the nearest order of magnitude) to
email people in the US, as it does to phone my dentist
down the road. Communication costs are very low
already over short distances, they just scale rather
quickly upwards in the absence of an internetwork.

Do you see what I mean?

alex