[Nottingham] Microkernal GNU Mach (with GNU Hurd)

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 20 20:11:00 2003

> Robert Davies wrote:
> >
> > Anyone for changing the name of GNU .....
> >
> > GNUL is not UNIX or Linux?
>
> Good then! We need a talk to exactly define what Linux might be, what it
> might be understood as to be, and what is popularly believed...
>
> The next talk might then get around to mentioning Mach, Hurd and whether
> they are yet usable!!

Yes actually, I'm using FreeBSD as well as Linux now, and have dabbled with
OpenBSD in past, so think it's a shame that it's not FUGs rather than LUG's
ie. FreeOS User Groups.

Fact is with so much common tools and applications which kernel you happen to
run is probably more of academic interest to most users.

Rob