[Nottingham] Re joystick, thanks.

Philip Scott nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 13 17:16:01 2003

I don't think there is a difference. The problem you're descrbing might be
because you're using insmod and not modprobe - insmod installs *only* the
module you specify, but the module may rely on others to work correctly.
modprobe looks at /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep (which I believe is
generated by 'depmod') to figure out any dependancies that must be loaded
before the specified module, and installs them first.

Perhaps the problem is that if you install the module before the boot stage,
your modules.dep is not upto date - most boot systems run 'depmod' at some
stage. If so, making sure depmod is run before you install the module(with
modprobe) should fix the problem.

Kind Regards,
 Philip